Please read the following information before accessing the online application at the bottom of the page.
Peer tutors work towards helping students become independent learners according to the following guidelines:
- Students should come to tutorial sessions prepared: having attended class and taken notes, with all necessary books and materials, having attempted homework and read assignments.
- The tutor is a successful student, but not a teacher or expert. Though s/he is a good resource, the tutor will not do the student’s work and is not responsible for the student’s final course grade.
Eligibility for Tutoring by Appointment
Students may request tutoring if they have satisfied prerequisites and are enrolled in the requested class for credit (no audits):
- Chemistry 100, 101, 103, 111, 201, 203, 220, 221, 223, 225, 227
- Math 107, 108, 111, 114, 121, 131, 141, 231, 241, 242
- Physics 131, 201, 202, 205, 208, 211, 212
- All students new to the UTC’s tutoring by appointment programs should attend a 30-minute orientation during the fall and spring semesters. The orientation is waived during the summer. This orientation will inform you of the program opportunities offered at the University, and help you determine which one(s) are most appropriate for your personal goals and objectives.
- Returning students who have previously attended a UTC orientation should complete an online application.
- A new tutoring request must be received each semester in order to be eligible for the current semester services.
Students may use the Weekly Assigned option for one course and the Sign Up option for a second course, or choose Sign Up for two courses.
1. Sign-Up (SU) tutoring
- Allows flexibility to schedule appointments as needed.
- Available Monday through Friday with experienced tutors in Park Shops.
- Appointments may be scheduled for 30 minutes or 1 hour. For each course, you may schedule up to 1 hour per day and up to 2 hours per week.
- In order to maximize help for all students, all appointments begin on the hour or half-hour.
- You will be eligible to schedule an appointment 2 business days after completing your application.
2. Weekly-Assigned (WA) tutoring
- You commit to meeting twice per week for an hour each time throughout the semester with your assigned tutor.
- Due to high demand, you may request WA tutoring for one course.
- Small group tutoring will be provided for high demand courses. Benefits of group tutoring include working with an experienced tutor; meeting, learning, and collaborating with other students with the same instructor; and getting priority assigning. Group sizes range between 3-5 students. Group tutors are assigned based on schedules and demand.
- You will be notified via email if and when a tutor becomes available who matches your schedule and course request. Please schedule SU appointments in the meantime.
Students in all tutoring sessions should arrive on time, be prepared for the session, participate actively, and stay for the entire appointment.
- SU: Students who cannot attend a SU appointment should cancel by midnight the night before the appointment. Notification of cancellations after midnight are appreciated and should be made through the UTC office by calling 919.515.3163.
- WA: Students who choose to use the WA program agree to meet 2 hours every week throughout the semester.
Loss of Tutoring Privileges
Two cumulative appointment “no-shows” will result in the loss of privileges for the current semester. Please contact the UTC to discuss conditional approval for future semesters.
No shows will be received for the following:
- Cancelling after the deadline or failure to arrive to the appointment
- Coming unprepared more than once to a tutoring session
- Arriving late or leaving early to a session, as defined below:
- SU: Staying less than 45 minutes for a 1 hour session or staying less than 20 minutes for a .5 hour session
- WA: violating the tutor/tutee contract
Supervision of Tutors
The UTC continually strives to improve our tutoring services through direct supervision of our tutors during tutoring sessions. The sole purpose of observations is to improve the tutor’s performance.
Questions? Please contact us at email@example.com or 919.515.3163.
Tutoring by appointment applications will be accepted beginning Monday, August 26th for the fall 2019 semester.